Wednesday 15 January 2014

The Visuals


Art Style:
I will be making my grad film in the medium of 3D. The art style that I am interested in is similar to game characters that have hand-painted textures. Since I have some art foundation in 2D, and my recent internship involved texturing characters, I plan to hand-paint all of my assets' textures, including both characters and environment. I will be working with diffuse, normal and specular maps to minimize poly count while keeping the art style believably cartoony.



Influence Map:
In pre-production, I am more worried about making the environment than characters, mainly because I have less experience in that area (I've done some 2D environment paintings, but not 3D). Luckily, I have the habit of saving good reference images into my computer, so I dug into my 3D folder and found many images that can help me visualize the look of my scenes. As you can see, there are lots of images here that are from games: Animal Crossing, Frisbee 2, Temple Run 2, Mini Ninjas... just to name a few.



SFX Preview:
The two SFX videos above are homework from last year's class. They are all done in Autodesk Maya with the particle system and container. Since I am not aiming for realism, a cartoony/stylized scene like this won't take too long to render (phew!). I plan to put the same SFX into my grad film. I am especially excited for the cloud scene!

No comments:

Post a Comment