Monday 27 January 2014

Characters Design Progress


I spent some time looking up the significance behind the winged lion. The creature might already be very symbolic, in that case, the association it carries may confuse certain audiences. I found that lion is a symbol of power, which makes it a suitable subject to appear on the family emblem. In my story, the lion is sort of a persona of the girl's power, so that is great! The wings symbolize spiritual elevation. When the lion travels with the girl, he will show her a new world, a new way of living. This will work alright too. 


I played around with different shapes and art styles. In the end I came up with four types of lion faces (just faces for now, bodies later). I picked the square-looking one because I think it will look better on an emblem. Next, I tried different manes with the square face lion but I think I need further experimentation on this... I don't think I am satisfied with any of these at the moment. Plus, I still have to draw the whole body, make expression sheet, apply colors... etc.


Oh look, I found references pictures for my winged lion! Anatomy is essential. I will also need to look up wing-rigging videos. Hmmm, this is going to be quite the challenge when I get to the modeling/rigging phase.
(p.s. I have more reference images than I showed here.)


The girl's look is pretty much settled. She will come with two color variations. One for inside the castle. Another for when she goes out into the wild. The picture at the bottom is one of my early character designs that got scratched, as you can see, I drew a lot of the design from my earlier work. Now before I enter the modeling part, I might have to think more about the topology. Right now I am a bit worried with the area near her braids, and her shoulder. How is it going to deform when it's animated....? 
p.s. Oh and of course, the girl will need her own pose sheet, expression sheet as well.




-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


p.s. Look, these two images are provided from my friend Desirae Witte. She knows what kind of stuff I am into. Isn't she so sweet!! <3



No comments:

Post a Comment